Microsoft finally fixes 'critical' Windows security flaw after patch delay

Patch Tuesday is back -- albeit after an inadvertent and undisclosed glitch led to a month-long delay in releasing security patches.

Microsoft said Tuesday that it patched dozens of vulnerabilities across 18 bulletins.

Among the patches include one "critical"-rated flaw, which had publicly disclosed exploit code since early February. ...

There really is no excuse for this. The Open Source Operating Systems that I use.. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Ubuntu Studio, in fact ALL of theOpen Source Operating Systems that are based on Linux receive security updates AS SOON as the fix is available (usually within hours or at most a few days of the security issue being discovered), taht applies nor only to the Operating System, but ALL of the software that is avilable through the Operating System's App Store (or Software Centre), which is pretty much every peice of software that I use, from Browser and Email to Office Apps to Software development tools to Media applications to games (well the open Source ones).

Then, of course there is this problem, that seems to plague Proprietary Operating Systems.

In patches we trust: Why software updates have to get better

All too often, security patches are breaking the devices they set out to protect, and trust in the software companies to protect those devices is wearing thin.

How long do you put off restarting your computer, phone, or tablet for the sake of a security update or software patch? All too often, it's far too long.

Updating your devices is a tedious, time-consuming and productivity-killing process. But in the vast majority of cases these updates fix bugs in operating systems, browsers, productivity suites, and even on our phones and tablets, which can mitigate some of the worst vulnerabilities discovered in recent times.

Patches are good for you. According to Homeland Security's cyber-emergency unit, US-CERT, as many as 85 percent of all targeted attacks can be prevented by applying a security patch.

The problem is that far too many have experienced a case when a patch has gone disastrously wrong. That's not just a problem for the device owner short term, but it's a lasting trust issue with software giants and device makers.

In the past two years, there have been at least half-a-dozen major software screw-ups that have left users clambering for answers, and -- in some cases -- their devices have stopped working altogether. That's a problem, but not least because any security expert should tell you that antivirus software and strong passwords are good, but nothing prevents hacks and attacks better than up-to-date software.

Take Apple, Google, and Microsoft. In the past year or so, all three have released a "botched" update, which either failed to fix the problem or caused new issues.

Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update was meant to fix initial problems with Apple's new eight generation mobile operating system, but killed cell service on affected phones -- leaving millions stranded until a fix was issued a day later. Google had to patch the so-called Stagefright flaw, which affected every Android device, for a second time after the first fix failed to do the job. Meanwhile, Microsoft has seen more patch recalls in the past two years than in the past decade.

And there have been numerous other botched updates, affecting millions of users.

The trust that we put in tech companies to deliver patches free from flaws or issues has been dented. And we forget that many companies have unfettered update "backdoors" into their products to provide patches and fixes for the masses. Get it wrong, and that trust can be wiped out to zero....

In 17 years of using a Linux based Operating System I simply have never had this problem. It's rare that I have to restart my computer after a general Software Update or even after a Security Update, and NEVER during a Software or Security update. The only time I've ever had to restart my computer after an Update to the Software is when a new version of the Operating System Kernel is installed, maybe a couple of times a month, and it NEVER interferers with any work I'm doing because 1/ it doesn't nag me, and 2/ it will ALWAYS wait until I'm ready to reboot.

In that time I have NEVER had a software update cause issues with my computer. The updates JUST WORK, and I have 4 computers, each with a different Linux based operating System, depending on what I use them for, My personal Laptop, my partner's Laptop, my Recording Studio computer, and our File/Media Server, They all get updates without any of the issues described as occurring with those mentioned Proprietary Operating Systems.

Don't believe me try a Linux OS for yourself. Ubuntu is very popular as is Linux Mint, I use both of them.