When inexperienced diplomats get tired …
US Secretary of State Tillerson cut short his visit to S. Korea because of "fatigue," Korean officials tell Korea Herald.
They can get grumpy.
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Friday declared that the existing “strategic patience” approach is over, saying all options including military action are on the table. …
“Let me be very clear: the policy of strategic patience has ended. We are exploring a new range of diplomatic, security, economic measures. All options are on the table.”
Tillerson isn’t just talking about military action, he’s talking up the possibility of making a preemptive attack on North Korea. It’s an option that’s being pressed by supposedly reasonable Republicans.
Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) said during a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing last month that the United States has three choices: what he called “proactive regime change,” to topple Kim; sanctions and other coercive measures; or military cooperation with Japan and South Korea that could include a preemptive strike on missile facilities. “Otherwise, we’re staring down the barrel of an ICBM,” Corker said.
Two points: first, ICBMs don’t have barrels, second, Russia and China already have better than 2,000 missiles pointed our way and a handful more from North Korea doesn’t represent a serious increase in the threat to the nation. But our attitude about those weapons is a serious issue.
Especially to more than 20 million people in South Korea we can’t protect.